Saturday, June 11, 2011

Timberline Marathon


It's been a week now since I ran the Timberline Marathon around Timothy Lake last Saturday.

Starting my day from Eugene at 4:00am, I made my way up to Timothy Lake by 7 am. When the race started at 8:30 I was as calm as I'd ever been on a race morning. It was a staggered start, something I was not used to, but just rolled with. I was the 5th to start through and within the first few miles settled into a good pace and some of the quicker guys started after me and set me in 10th for the first half of the race.

I was alone for most of the first loop which is the way I like it. Once the second loop started it was 65 & sunny! I was on target for an 3:35 marathon, however at mile 20 my pace started to slow. Not sure if this is because my last run over 18 miles was a few months ago or just not enough water between mile 17 and 20. This being my second marathon ever (first trail, first was Eugene Marathon 4:40 in 2009), I was content with a huge PR.

Had one mishap with a root sticking out of the ground and picked myself up quickly and made it to the finish line in 3:56:09. 13th overall and 2nd in age group. Was stoked to have bettered my marathon time by almost 45 minutes!

Next up is SOB50k then Whiteriver 50M.

No comments:

Post a Comment